ContactTourist ShopOpening hoursRoute
Nederlands  English

Dam

Address: Damplein 1, 1135 BK Edam     View map »
Type: Bridge/Water lock

The DAM, incorporating lock gates, was built in 1544 on the orders of Emperor Karel V. 
After many years of disputes over the locks, they finally accepted responsibility for their upkeep in 1701 and, to mark this event, two coats of arms were placed in the quay side. 
On the southern side of the Hoogheemraadschap and on the other side those of the then dike reeve (the officer in charge). 
After completion of the new sea locks in 1829, the Dam sluice became superfluous and the lock gates were removed.

BannerBannerBannerBanner